EuPD Research has calculated what needs to be done to replace the nuclear and coal generation to be phased out in Germany.
Accelerated expansion of PV appears the best short-term option. However, storage capacity will need to increase 30-fold by 2040 so solar can become the main pillar of the country’s energy system.
- ‘Willing investors, manufacturing scale’ the only way for non-lithium ESS to reach the mainstream
- Solar-plus-storage vs grid enhancement part III
- Utility scale, rather than behind-the-meter batteries will drive energy storage take-up – Bloomberg u-turn
- Germany will need 160 GW of solar by 2030 to prevent power shortages
- Solar-plus-storage vs grid enhancement part II